Sustainability Project: from 2 by 4s to drying racks
For my sustainability project I built drying racks for the A frame cabins. The drying racks replace the need for dryers in the colder months. I redesigned the prototype to make it more sturdy and stable. Then I got to work on building the racks. I started by splitting the wood and then cutting it to length using the table saw. Using the table saw was kind of intimidating at first but Doug taught me how to use it confidently. Once all the wood was split and cut to its appropriate length I sanded all of it using an electric sander. I had to make some very complicated cuts in the wood to make the correct angles. These cuts were difficult and took quite a while to make. This was one change from the original prototype. Once the angular cuts were made I could almost start putting together the racks. But materials were a bit of a problem. I needed lots of clothesline wire, rope, screws, eyelets and many, many pulleys! My mentor Kristin had to make multiple trips to the hardware store to get all the items. Once most of the materials were present. I started building the racks by first drilling the holes that the clothesline wire would go through. Then with the help of Kristin they came together, we constructed them and then put the clothesline wire in, now they started to look like drying racks. Then I attached the eyelets and pulleys to the racks. Once the racks were complete it was time for installation. To install the racks we first needed to attach eyelets and pulleys to the ceiling of the A frame we then attached the cleat that would hold the rope when the rack was suspended. Then we put the rope through the pulleys to suspend the rack. We used a cleat knot on the cleat to secure the rope. This weekend I will present my project to the community. I am excited to present my project and I feel like I have learned a lot about managing a project and the time I have to do it as well as some carpentry skills.